D-Link, the multinational networking equipment manufacturer, celebrates its 30th Anniversary as a global leader in technology and networking. From a founding group of just seven employees in 1986, the business now has a 2,700-strong workforce across 65 countries worldwide and has achieved double‑digit growth year-over-year for more than two decades. This landmark comes as the Taiwanese multinational enters a new era, following the recent appointment of Chairman, John Hsuan.
In 1986, Ken Kao founded D-Link, then known as Datex Systems, breaking the mould of the existing networking industry by developing affordable, high-quality network adapters that were smaller and smarter than other available technologies. This new affordability and increased functionality helped accelerate the global PC revolution that saw computers become accessible. This landmark was achieved by using custom chips that the company designed itself.
D-Link’s product range expanded as the connected world developed. The company’s portfolio now spans from advanced smart switches and high-performance Wi-Fi routers, to security systems, Video Surveillance cameras, Home Automation products which include smart plugs that can be remotely controlled, and mobile apps for managing smart homes.
D-Link has been responsible for many ‘firsts’ over the last 30 years:
· In 1988, D-Link – then called Datex Systems – launched the first peer-to-peer LANSmart Network Operating System
· The first networking company to invest in a dedicated cloud platform, paving the way for cloud routers, cloud cameras, the mydlink app, and the mydlink Home app for connected homes
· The first 10BASE-T Ethernet hub in 1990
· The first PCMCIA Ethernet adaptor for laptop PC
· The world’s first Fast Ethernet switch with an ISDN remote router
· The first 11MB wireless Cable/DSL router
· The first to offer 180-degree Wide Eye home surveillance cameras
Show Comments (0)